Happy new year, everyone! I hope your 2017 is off to a great start. I started mine with making a delicious, much needed detoxing soup to cleanse my body from all the heavy foods consumed during the holidays!
I used rutabaga root in my recipe, something I don't often use but is actually very yummy and good for the body. It is high in vitamin C, which is important for immune functioning as well as healthy skin. Its also great for digestive health since it has very high fibre content (more than 12% of daily requirement in each serving!). It'll help with bulking up stool to rid your body of all the food and toxins from the numerous holiday meals!
Combined with veggies high in antioxidants, and important vitamins and minerals, this soup is good for your body and your tastebuds!
Fresh Start Detox Soup
1 bunch of green kale
1 rutabaga root
3 cloves of garlic
7 chicken thighs
2 litres of water
1.5 cups of quinoa
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
1. Wash all ingredients!
2. Bring 2 litres of water to a boil. Then add the quinoa.
3. Mince the garlic, dice the onion, cube the rutabaga root, and strip the kale leaves from the stems.
4. Cut the chicken into cubes or desired size.
5. Add the ingredients into the pot of water and quinoa.
6. Add in the dried thyme and oregano.
7. Let everything cook for around 20 min or until the quinoa is tender and the veggies are cooked!