Its autumn and the days are getting shorter, its getting colder, and in many parts of the world (especially Vancouver), its getting rainier and cloudier. We’re not getting the sun we normally get in the summertime and we feel gloomier. We also tend to get sick during the colder months. Why is that?
This is because our body needs a healthy dose of Vitamin D to keep our immune system and hormones in check! Many of you already know that we can get vit D from the sun and that it makes us happy. But how? We get vit D when our skin comes in contact with the UV light from the sun’s rays. It is then converted again and again by different organs in our body to become its most active form called 125-dihydroxycholecalciferol, or calcitriol (D3). Now that we know how our body makes vit D3, here are a few things that vit D3 does for us:
- Promotes healthy bones and teeth by regulating calcium metabolism and calcification of bones
- Can reduce the frequency of getting colds by boosting our immune system
- Helpful in treating allergies, diabetes, and skin problems
- Enhances the absorption of other minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc
- Improves brain disorders such as depression, anxiety, and Alzheimer’s
Even during the summertime, many of us living further away from the equator are not getting enough vit D so its recommended to get vit D through supplements. I take it in liquid form - its tasteless and we only a few drops! I use D drops and I love it. Simple, tasteless, and convenient! It’s readily available at Wholefoods, most grocery stores in the pharmacy section and local supplement/vitamin stores.
Hurry and get yourself some vit D3 to keep up with this cold and gloomy weather!